17 Fun Facts About Fencing
Fencing has many physical and mental health benefits, as well as being a really fun great family activity that everyone can enjoy.
- Fencing was a sport in the Olympic Games in Ancient Greece.
- The Fencing suits are white, because when Fencing first started, touching was recorded with a piece of cotton at the tip of the weapon dipped in ink.
- The tip of the fencing weapon is the second fastest moving object in sport, the first being the marksman’s bullet.
- Why do we call it fencing? The word “fence” was originally shortened from “defens”, that comes from the Italian word, ”defensio”. The first known use of defens in reference to swordsmanship is in Shakespeare’s Merry Wives of Windsor: “Alas sir, I cannot fence.”
- In 1190 B.C., a painting on an Egyptian temple featured a fencing match.
- Many ballet positions are derived from fencing.
- The first known fencing club was established in Belgium, about 250 years before the first known football club.
- Fencing can be done by all age groups, even small children.
- Fencing was known as a king’s sport because it was popular among the upper society and royalty.
- Fencing was first performed as a sport for people to learn how to defend themselves in the event of a duel.
- Former fencers include President Theodore Roosevelt, Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise, William Shakespeare, Karl Marx, Mark Zuckerberg, and Winston Churchill.
- Fencing is considered to be one of the safest sports, the players are more in danger if their weapons fall to pieces.
- Since you learn to defeat your opponent combining technique, talent, and physical endurance, fencing is commonly referred to as “physical chess”.
- Fencing has been included in every Olympic game since 1898.
- Fencing is known for being the only combat sport with no weight classes.
- Since fencing is such a fast sport, advanced fencers use an electronic scoring system.
- And the most fun fact about fencing is that it teaches people how to analyze situations, make complex decisions quickly, to think on their feet all without anyone getting hurt.
Contact Us Today For Fencing
Space City Fencing in Houston, Texas offers many different fun fencing events. Whether you would like to learn fencing for competitive or recreational purposes, we can meet your needs. We offer beginner’s classes, camps, team building for businesses, and birthday parties. We also offer a try out class, if it is your first time trying fencing you can come one time for free to see if it is for you. Please contact us today to schedule your first free class and get signed up for your fun fencing opportunities.